Revelation..

Man, I am completely unhinged today!!
Before xmas I went to the doctor because I was always tired and run down, sick, and basically, unhappy. I didn't do any of the bloodwork ordered, because the day I went to the lab, I left the form at home, so that was just another thing I couldn't cope with. Anyway I got some iron pills and thought, she'll be right. This, however, coincided with the xmas hols where I spent the whole time at the bach, with other people around and therefore my bad (read BINGE) eating habits were curtailed. No chocolate, lollies, cakes, slices, chips or whatever crap in the evenings, and lately I have been feeling really good. I'm not tired all the time, and most importantly, I have been able to deal with the kids in an appropriate way, as oppose to yelling, shouting, screaming, being demeaning and plain horrible to them...but not today, and why, because last night I had a bag of chips while watching 'Lost'! I know that I don't cope well with chocolate, I get wicked sugar hangovers, but I thought a little bag of cheddar grainwaves would be ok, I guess not. I think that I would be ok with plain potato chips but I beleive that it is the MSG ( all three kinds in these chips) that is the cause this time. As a result, not a nice mummy to be around. I didn't sleep well last night, some from Brooke, but mostly MSG probably, but today I could just KILL, or at least seriously injure. I can't cope AT ALL with the crying and whinging , and the kids play off it and wind each other up knowing that the other one will cop it bigtime......aaarrgggghhh
Now I'm not some kind of organic only,no additives or preservatives lentil eating vegan ( obviously, now you all know what I eat) but I am realising now that I have to acknowledge what my body tells me, and just stop all the crap, altogether. I know it's not gonna do me any harm! but I will miss it. I like nuts, so maybe I'll try those. I have been doing really well since xmas, so I know I can do it. Rob is harder to convince. He likes to bring little treats. He would never buy me cigarettes ( when I smoked) but he doesn't understand that this stuff is probably just as harmful, if not physically to me, then emotionally to the kids.

Blah blah blah.........thanks for the rant. I'm off to a Playcentre conference this weekend. It's at the back end of nowhere, but at least I'll get a break from the kids, and all my meals cooked for me.
see you on the 'sane again' side

6 comments:

Calidore said...

Ahh Jo, you could be at my house, only I don't eat all that stuff only chocolate. Actually we have found that Nicola can't eat most preservatives and additives, colourings and so on - sets off her excema and upsets her emotionally big time. There's a lot to be said for avoiding most of theat stuff. Have a great weekend and relax. You sound like you need some time out.

Hugs

Catherine

Miss Robyn said...

Jo - I am not going to begin to tell you what to eat or how to live but I am a firm believer in whole foods - my grandson had food allergies when he was little and we took him off all wheat products and his skin cleared up. Sounds to me as if you could have yeast intolerance. I am no expert like I said on calidores post but have had my share of allergies in the past. good luck with it all!

Jo in NZ said...

Thanks Ms Robyn ( if you're back this way). I really feel that my intolerance is to the additives and other rubbish. I eat alot of bread ( brown, whole grain) and get thru other days just fine. My system just doesn't cope with things that shouldn't be there....

Anonymous said...

I have just started realizing how sensitive I am to additives and other nonfood chemicals. I only discovered it since my son is really sensitive. Give him a little Red No. 40 or Yellow No. 5 and he will climb the walls! It sucks because I love my junk.

BTW, I have been lurking for a while and I wanted to say I love looking at your blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this post Jo. I may have something else to look into now. I am 30 years old and feel like crap, maybe the crap I put in my body is the culprit.

abeautifulcraft said...

I eat lots of stuff from heath food store, to stop wanting to eat the junk on the shelves of the supermarket. MSG is bad for most people, and often the reactions are shocking - I know from personal experience. You might pay more for some munchies at health food shop, but I just love dried fruit and nuts. My health and my families has improved with a huge change in eating habits.
Keep ya chin up Jo, know your 'normal' .. many of us have walked the path you are ...
my son (ADHD) drives me INSANE ... and I feel like braining him at the best of times ...and worse when 'someone' gives him artificial stuff... which is now totally banned from his life.
A bonus about eating better, I've lost 6 kilo's! LOL
Sending you hugs