Woven Rose Tutorial

Miss RoseAnne asked how I did woven (spiderweb) roses. So here are lots of pics, and words that hopefully make sense, to show  the one little trick I do when creating these.

10 minutes later.....
Ok. I have tried and tried to get the words next to the picture (with the pic on the left of the screen) and it just is not going to work. I am very frustrated with whatever changes blogger has recently made because they ARE NOT working the way they did. It seems I have half the old blogger back, and half the new beta dashboard. So it is words below, Sorry. It really would be easier to have them next to what I am talking about, but needs must I guess. Blogger NEEDS to screw with me. I MUST post tutorial!


Lay down your spokes as usual. I do 5 , sometimes 7 for a larger rose.


I do my first few weaves just as 'normal', meaning I don't worry at all how the ribbon falls.
(excuse my revolting fingernails, I am a woman of many bad habits).  Next I take the needle a 'roll' it between my fingers to create a curl in the ribbon. I  am not fussy about which way I roll, and often change direction  several times through the process. If a petal doesn't look right, I unweave, and roll the other way, until I am happy.
  This shows the curl in the ribbon.
  Next run your hand down the ribbon, starting at the needle end, to get all the curl in one place. I don't always do this as when you weave it, I kinda does it itself, but this can help when you are starting out.
  The weave it through. You can see the curls being trapped in between the spokes. It is important not to pull to tightly. I would rather leave it looser, and do a couple of securing stitches, than pull to tightly.
 And here is a petal with a conveniently paced curl  in the middle. They don't all work like this !
 Here is another one that appears longer an smoother. I don't worry how they look, as it look more realistic  if it is not perfect.
  Another example
 The finished product!
  A different view.     
               
I use 7mm ribbon mostly for these roses ( I guess that nugget should have been at the beginning), but it can work just as well on smaller roses, with 4mm ribbon. Still use 5 spokes for your weave though.

Click on any of the pictures and they will get BIGGER.






As you can see I got the pictures to move with drag and drop. Hallelujah.
Don't forget to enter my giveaway on this post HERE. It is up to 82 comments. I would LOVE to get 100 to unlock the bag, but if we don't, I'll throw in the other (not so successful "Vintage") bag anyway. Its still a cute bag....

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial on doing the woven roses, I had never done any and this makes it look so simple.

Vicki W said...

It's like magic!

Marty52 said...

Cool, Jo! Thanks for the tutorial... this may just come in handy!!

PJS said...

Wow... that is really fabulous, will have to give it a go myself, thanks for taking the time.

Momma Bear said...

Thanks for the pointers Jo!
I've tried these before and they never looked quite right now I KNOW WHY!

Misty said...

Thanks for sharing your technique! I've made the roses before but didn't know about rolling the ribbon. I will definitely try that the next time I make a rose.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thank you for the great tute! I've tried these before but have never been happy with how they turned out. Obviously twisting the ribbon is the secret ingredient!

carole brungar said...

Don't think I've dropped into comment yet, so will bump it another one! Thanks for the tut on roses, it refreshed me as I did a ribbon embroidery class earlier in the year.
Carole ;)

Unknown said...

That's a great tute, Jo! I saw this over on Denise Felton's Needlework News! :)
~TattingChic ♥

Faye said...

Great pictures Jo, also a great tutorial... I just wish I could get my roses to look like these... I guess I just need more practice, LOL!!!
cheers -

allie aller said...

Thanks, Jo, this is great!

Robbie said...

Great tutorial! How cool! I knew that ribbon I bought back in 2006 @ IQA Festival in Houston would come in handy!

qwerty said...

Great tutorial!! Step by step pictures always make it easier.

JeanneZ said...

thank you for posting how to make the spiderweb rose. Much easier than the finished looks like it would be.
JeanneZ

Diane said...

Thanks for the great instructions. No wonder mine have never looked so good - I always worked so hard at getting the ribbon straight!

Joanne said...

I've never used the spider web technique to make a fabric rose. It looks so much easier than the way I have been making them. Thanks for the info!

Joanne

Jackie said...

Great tutorial!! I've made alot of spider web roses, but yours look better than mine, and I see the key is twisting the ribbon!! I'll try that next time, thanks!
Jackie

Rose Anne B said...

OHHHH JO thank you so very much for the spider web rose tutorial!!! The pictures speak mega much!!! Now to try making them with the 7mm instead of the 4mm ribbon. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Jo, thanks so much for this how to with all the lovely pictures. I've tried woven roses and never been impressed. I see I was missing that twist. It makes all the difference. I don't know how left that out. Now I'll have to pull out some stitching to try again. :)

Hifa said...

thanks for the tuto. I will also try to do it and share on my site. your tutorial will be good reference for me. as it is very clear.
thanks!