Postcard Tutorial

I know postcard tutes have probably been done to death, but I did have a request for how I make mine, and it is a bit different to any others I have seen. SO here it is...sorry the pics are low res as this was originally done for my Yahoo groups newletter. This is VERY similar to how I do most things with fusible interfacing.

1) I have my template and my handy dandy fusible interfacing ( I looked at the tag last week, it is called "formfuse"), heavy weight. Draw around template, cut out leaving seam allowance of approx 0.5".

2) I have already pieced the front here. Turn your corners in at a 45` angle and press them down.

Now fold the seams in. They should fold nicely along your lines.

This is the double sided fusible that I use for postcards. When it cools it is nice and firm, perfect for postcards.

Use your template to cut a piece of heatnbond to size...no seam allowance required. Iron it to your backing fabric. I cut it out then place it on the postcard and trim it up so it is smaller than the back , but still covers the seams.

Peel the paper backing off, flip it over, and iron in place.

I use some seconds thermal curtain backing for postcard backs, but only because it is what I have handy, you could use calico (muslin) just as well.

And the finished product! The reason I like to use the fusible (no sew) method,is because my sewing machine and I can't do much more together than sew a straight line. i have tried buttonholing the edges, zigzagging etc, but everything looks messy, so this works well for me.
I write on the back of my cards with a pigma pen, but a regular old ballpoint works just as well.

Leave a link if you make your own.

I have finished piecing the Blue CQ too. I will takes pics tomorrow. I feel very pleased with myself. I made a plan, and so far I have stuck to it. Piece everything first, which I hoped would help maintain a continuity thru the blocks, which I think it has done. I desparately wanted to start stitching...but I didn't!!

9 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've tried a couple of postcards but the edges were messy. I like your tidy finish.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! I love that they're no-sew. I'll be linking.

Susan said...

I like your finishing - no muss, no fuss, and neat as can be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I have tried several post card treatments and think that the edges look messy-I am going to give this a try-I love post-cards and this seams nice!

Thanks, Tina

talia said...

that is fantastic and i love that this is no fuss no muss (as Susan above said) i just can't do the whole zig-zag edge thing either.

Yeah!

talia

Digitalgran said...

Thanks for a very useful tutorial Jo.

qwerty said...

This is a fantastic tutorial - thanks for a great idea!! Love that it's easy and looks very tidy :)

Sharon said...

Thank Goodness!!!! I have just started making fabric postcards and I wasn't at all happy with my edges...I have now seen your idea -heaven!!!! I can't wait to put it into practice...

traderslostart said...

I so miss your crazy quilting Jo.
You are part of the reason that I decided to try hand embroidery,
and enter my first Facebook, Crazy Quilt Divas 2014 RR without
having ever embroidered anything before.
It has been a learning experience; and like most who try, a very
addicting experience.
Thank you for this tutorial, and all the joy your crazy quilting has
brought to me over the years.

God Bless you and bring you love.,
Sondra