Paisley how to

Lillian, from one of my yahoo groups asked me to explain how I do the paisley motifs, so here it is.
#I draw -freehand- a paper template. I only did a template for the large 'teardrop'. The smaller 'tail' I freehand stitched
#I pin that to fabric, which ever way I want it, or it fits.

#I then chain stitch the outline. You can use any stitch you like, back , outline, stem, but I like chain.
# I then just worked my way in. One this one I did a row of buttonhole (light blue). Then another row of chainstitch (dark blue) , a row of detached chain stitch with a bead at the point of each (dark blue). I eyeball distance for all of this. I'm afraid there is no magic formula, I just do it.
# next I did the circle in the middle, in chain stitch again. I stitched around a paper template again for this. Filled this in with satin stitch, then added the bead.
# Finally I decided what I would put in the rest of the 'space'. For this one, it was a row of feather stitch , starting above the circle and working down either side (light blue), some chain stitch up the centre, and a few french knots.
Apart from the template, I do all this freehand. I guess you could use 'press and seal', but we don't have it here, and I have heard it said that it can be difficult to get PnS out from under a heavily stitched design. If you have an opinion on how it would work for this, please leave a comment for those who are interested. Thanks.

I worked this one in pretty much the same way. Outline in chain, then I did the inner line of chain stitch (gold), THEN I put in the fly stitch (dark blue). The next bit I did on this one is the dark blue paisley shape around the flowers. This is freehand (what I would call) stem stitch. Then I just filled in all the gaps, did the flowers and french knots and did the chain stitch swirls wherever the needed to go.
I hope this helps Lillian. I would say ,once you have the outline , go 'crazy'!! just fill it in!



6 comments:

Linda said...

oooooh. I DO like this.

Think I might go and try it - stay tuned (but don't hold your breath!)

June said...

Hi Jo,'
I love this paisley. Found out about your blog on CQ for newbies. Love your work. June
http://grandmaziki.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the how to! Your freehand stitching looks so nice that I don't think you need Press'n Seal. :-) I've only used Press'n Seal twice and have no complaints about removing it. I've had far worse problems removing tissue paper. But so far I've only used it on a very simple stem stitch motif and stitched words.

Grangry said...

Thanks for the tutorial - love this!

Conni said...

Your work is gorgeous! I came here from Lillian's blog. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial...

Unknown said...

Thanks. I love paisley. I'm gonna give it a try :-)