TBCQ progress

Here's the next block completed. I like this one! It is much prettier in person. The brooch is lighter than it has come out in the pic, very 'icy', and sparkly.
Freda asked if I would use tatting in every block, and I think I will attempt to do this. Using tatting is a signature of my work,  and I love the texture it adds to a block, as well as the history.

Here is a progress pic so far.
I haven't quite decided on how to work with the black blocks.  The lower embellished one is effective in the photo, but in reality, blah, don't like the look. To simple , and to add more to the seams would add more colour, which I don't want. The upper block was all black - stitching and beading, and I added some dark green thread. Which I do like. I love the black on  black, and the different type of fabric does create interest, but it needs something to lighten it up, literally, and visually. I am going to do another in just the green thread and see how that moves me.

My only problem now. I am loving the look to this quilt, and I want to make it bigger than originally intended, but I do not have a wall big enough to display it on (except opposite the toilet door, and while it would be a lovely piece to sit and admire, I am not so sure that guests will be excited by this option...)

11 comments:

Lauri said...

Hi Jo
This is going beautifully! I don't really have any advice on what to do with the black blocks. As you know I am a color addict and staying in one color zone drives me crazy. However I sure do like look at other's work. Yours especially!
I have the same problem as you with wall space. I have no idea where I will put my UTS quilt when done.
Maybe I'll sell it ot give it away
Great work so far
Lauri

Debbie said...

Jo, your work is stunning on this quilt. I would REALLY like to know how you did that new seam of yours! Debbie (Maine)

Queen Bee's Musings said...

so beautiful.. I love your signature of tatting. It is wonderful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Now, whyever wouldn't you want to put it behind the bathroom door? Don't people deserve something lovely to look at while they're in there? Altho....I suppose...they might just be tempted to stay too long and if you have only one bathroom, that could be a problem!

Jo in NZ said...

LOL Magpie. In New Zealand, our 'toilets' are separate little rooms with just a toilet, so very small! So guests would have to sit with the door open to see the quilt on the only wall that is big enough!

Anonymous said...

I love the blocks you've finished, and I'm interested to see what you do with the black. I wish I could see it in person!

FredaB said...

Hi Jo

the blocks ae really pretty. I love the idea of just embellishing the tops. when you look at them they are such an "illusion" or is it just me. Beautiful.

Hugs

FredaB

Mary-Frances said...

My gosh it's lovely! So, how many blocks - have you decided?

Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog - my next piece is back to CQ and more SRE, can't wait to return to it.

Anonymous said...

tumbling blocks is one of my favorite quilt patterns-I love the illusions that you have created. That is my second favorite part of quilting-I love creating illusions with fabric and thread

Unknown said...

Jo, you are so fast! Your stitching goes so quickly, I'm amazed.
I just wanted to say I DO like the subtle effect of the black blocks. They are embellished tastefully and strike me as classy. And, they are a buildup for the top white heavily encrusted block, which is the cherry on top.
Nice work!

Anonymous said...

This is going to be a fabulous quilt. I love how cqers find ways different ways to showcasen their blocks.