Holy cow Batgirl...a blog post

Blogging seems to be becoming more infrequent....I have been busy stitching, I usually stitch for a (at least) short while everyday. It is a good indication that I am spiralling into a "depression" if I can't be bothered stitching...any way, I have been stitching, and here's the proof.
I pieced this actually for the 'girls night out'. I thought I would throw together a little drawstring bag for the gift. Well it wasn't going to work, and it was too small.
A while ago, on Barbara's blog, I saw a pincushion she had made and BEGGED for the instructions, which she kindly obliged with. I am not going to give you more than pics though, as I know Barbara is doing an article for the next issue of CQMagOnline, so you will all have to wait.
Anyway, back on task. I made this block, and it wasn't going to work, and I needed a new pincushion, so I decided to try Barbara's recipe. I kept the embellishment reasonable simple (for me), and I added special little things that have been sent to me in squishies.
Here is the embellished block, and ...wah-lah....the completed pincushion below.
The thick black trim stuff is a scrapbooking trim. It is self adhesive. Seemed to stick to the fabric ok, time will tell I guess, however it is almost impossible to stitch thru, so it may not be a versatile as I hoped. I have some leaves too
Here we have some lovely velvet leaves sent to me by Cheryl, ages ago.
The fan was crocheted for me by Cobi, and the oya (the lace fowers) are from Regin. The charms around the block were sent to me too, but by who I don't remember, sorry, however they were perfect for my pincushion.
More of Regin's oya, and of course some tatting, done by some wonderful woman somewhere...

So, while this is not a colour I probably would of chosen to use if I had started the pincushion with a plan, I am pleased that I did something with the original block, which probably would of remained unused forever. While it doesn't look it, this pincushion is BIG , great for 'losing' all those tiny beading needles. Finally, a pic of the base, covered in felt.

11 comments:

feistyurchin said...

Oooooo that's cool. I stitch when I AM depressed. In the world of cosmic stitchery we balance each other out!

Anonymous said...

lovely - i wondered where you were

meggie said...

Ooh it is lovely! It seems rather a shame to stick it with pins!!

Lisa Boni said...

What a gorgeous pincushion! I love that you were able to transform something that didn't work out for one thing into another! The colors make me realize how stuck in a rut I can get. I'd never have chosen those colors to work with, but the end result is rich and lucious! makes me realize that I need to break out of my rut! Beautiful!

Jo in NZ said...

thanks guys for your wonderful comments.
Alison, I can feel the country teeter totter as we balance each other...LOL.

Lisa, I don't use alot of colour, It doesn't work well for me. It is only two contrasting colours in this piece, orange and black. Give it a go!

allie aller said...

This came out great...and it is full of friendship, too...
Glad to see you posting when you can...I never miss it hen you do!

Barbara said...

Absolutely beautiful Jo! Did you do the little insert pincushion with the emery? I knew my needles would disappear if I didn't have something to stop them.

Julie is writing the article for CQMagOnline so be sure and check it out. The next issue is the end of July.

LouAnne said...

Wow, seeing the pincushion in your hand shows how large it is and I suspect that is a covered cd on the bottom. It's lovely and isn't it nice to make something for yourself so you can use all those little treasures you've been hoarding? It's interesting about our on and off times, isn't it. Lately I haven't been stitching and I haven't blogged much either. For me these non-times seem to coincide with my down times when life seems a little overwhelming. I've been going through that recently, but hope soon to work it out!

Gerry said...

You know I love it!!! And it's actually big enough to be functionable - WOW.

I look forward to Barbara's article and tutorial.

Susan Elliott said...

This post had me jumping up and down excited!!! It's a great pin cushion and I love the color combination! Great job...I can't wait to make mine!!

Unknown said...

I still love this thing! I need to make one!